Today I ran into an unusual problem with Exact Audio Copy and AutoFLAC. Whenever I’d try to rip one of my CDs into FLAC, they’d copy fine but then it’d fail and not write any .cue file. After searching around on the net for various solutions I was still having trouble.
It’s an easy fix, but wanted to share it here to hopefully save somebody else some time if they run into this same problem.
First, the error message:
Line 0 (File "C:\Program Files\Exact Audio Copy\AutoFLAC.exe"); $pid = run("" & $metaflac & ""' --add-replay-gain ' & $list, $ripdir, @SW_HIDE) Error: Unable to execute the external program. The directory name is invalid.
Now the fix, although it’s hardly a fix.
- Uninstall AutoFLAC.
- Uninstall Exact Audio Copy.
- Delete the Exact Audio Copy directory (C:\Program Files\Exact Audio Copy\ is the default).
- Use regedit to remove the AutoFLAC entries (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\AutoFLAC).
- Reinstall Exact Audio Copy.
- Reinstall AutoFLAC.
- Ensure your FLAC binaries are up to date.
Steps 3 and 4 are possibly optional but I went and did it anyway and it fixed the problem.
Anyway, hope this helps people, and it’s hardly an original fix but I would have saved some time had I found a post like this. Good luck, and happy ripping!